Monday, April 7, 2014

Stop-Motion Character Animation


Creating this animation took more thought than actual shooting and re-shooting, mostly because I had no idea how to even begin the project. First of all, I wanted to do something different than to what I have done, since i feel that trying out new forms of stop motion would be more beneficial then doing what I know. Secondly, I have NO idea how to do stop motion properly, from shooting things in mid air, to having things in an exact position that i would want, I dont understand the process so to speak. Ultimately, i decided to start small, by using a simple shape, that shape being a lemon, and seeing if i can control its position and movement. It was simple enough, except that i realized I had more establishing shots than I did animation, and it turned out to be more of a story board and camera test than a stop motion one. As for the animation itself, I used a camera on a tripod (which I had just recently acquired for this assignment) a lemon with kneaded eraser to stick it in place, a plate, utensils, and a small but reflective knife. Everything was shot in a straightforward manner, Sometimes requiring a re-shoot if something seemed out of place or if I didn't like how the segment looked. I prefer re-shooting an entire section rather than simply trying to replicate the frames that I saw where inadequate. An instance being when the lemon rolls away, it didnt seem like it was following a bath properly, and it seemed to wobble to irradicaly rather than moving on a smooth path. I had also music in the concept, but due to recent assignments in Ani114, where music was forbidden and action/framing was emphasized for emotion or mood, I decided to see if I can make those work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment